The Task of the Changing Pin-Mates Following Flights

The Task of the Changing Pin-Mates Following Flights

Postby Z Kornin » 31 January 2008, 3:09 pm

Following are, chronologically ranged, the known examples of the "3 changed mates after self-pin by BK moves-task" in a #2:

(1) Touw Hian Bwee

"The Problemist" 1969 - 2nd HM

(2) Romeo Bedoni

"Blikeng - 80 JT" 1993/4 - 1st Pr

(3) Milan Velimirovic

"Liga Problemista" 2000 - 2nd Pl

(4) Milan Velimirovic

"Schach-Aktiv" 6/2001 - 1st Com

Set and Play with three mates (therefore six thematical mates) followintg"Y" flights of the black King. Solutions can be seen in the first post in this on-line article in Mat-Plus (by MV, the author of 3 and 4 above) http://www.matplus.net/pub/start.php?px ... w2&tid=228

ps: In Milan's "Mat Plus" mag 'Winter edition' (appeared December 2007), there's an original #2 by Yours Truly presenting a new rendering of this idea
Z Kornin

Re: The Task of the Changing Pin-Mates Following Flights

Postby Z Kornin » 31 January 2008, 4:08 pm

In (1) and (2) above, there's each time (in set or in play) a DOUBLE PIN-MATE; but only number (4) presents a seventh pin-mate following the taking of the key piece...

My own (in MAT-PLUS magazine Winter 2007) presents the maximal number of pins (without promoted units!) - i mean five (one by each liner QRRBB) - with 2 double pin-mates (one in set and another in play).

The checking key (a novelty on the theme) is, moreover, hinted by the set checks against the white King... In our xxi-st Century views about what (maximal effect) is desirable in a Problem this detail is not to be pointed out with much concern, but, in the past (say in the 1890's or before), maybe following version would be prefered:

Zalmen Kornin
Original for "Chessproblem.net" 2008
. #2

Another side is a search for a more economical presentation, without regards for some maximal effect - following is a version WITHOUT WHITE KNIGHTS

Zalmen Kornin
Original for "Chessproblem.net" 2008
Z Kornin

Postby reddmann » 12 February 2008, 7:58 am

This is a tough nut. When I first saw your problem in MatPlus, I automatically
compared it to Milans, and because of the uncovered check and checking key
I flagged yours as 2/5, i.e., lame. The same could be said of many of my own tasks. :mrgreen:
It's always the question what you attain task-wise by sacrifying aesthetics.
So you attained another pin? Tough luck for you - since there are so many pins
already in the foregoers, one more fails to compensate. It's the typical
"Hey-I-could-do-THAT-too-if-I-only-bothered-to-do-it-at-all" feeling so pertinent
for modern art :twisted: And indeed, I suggest, IF you are willing to work with
a checking key, to go for the full monty and compose FOUR changed mates after
pin. Hurry up - if it's possible at all, I do it in ten minutes :P

Hauke alias Bigmouth Strikes Again
reddmann

Postby Z Kornin » 18 February 2008, 11:26 pm

ok, Hauke - If You arrive to some novelty in this task, please let we know ... From my - transatlantic - point of vue :shock: , after that Milan showed the four samples in his forum, I was surprised how before him the task was showed only with an extra liner (I mean the respective pawns in the seventh in numbers 1 and 2) - a sign that it's really a very difficult one - I was wondering particullarly that Bedoni could have missed something :roll: ( now I'm reasonably sure that he extracted the best of that matrix) - But then I was was already involved with new paths for this theme - in this way I arrived to the :idea: of the checking key :wink:
Z Kornin

Postby reddmann » 19 February 2008, 11:23 am

Surely the task is formidably difficult, it's only that I subtract what you gained
(one pin to four already existing) to what you lost (a decent key) and thus
estimated Milans version much higher.
BTW, I already tried if there is a matrix for star flight+pin mates. Conclusio:
not totally impossible but I have other things to do at the moment than
sitting hours before the board just to defend my bigmouth :mrgreen:

Hauke
reddmann

Postby Z Kornin » 15 March 2008, 12:18 am

Mine is just new - I never thought, said or wrote that it would be the best, and Milan know this from PMs that we exchanged in his forum (You're right - the key vs the extra pin are in the scale) . I'm realizing that the originals from Mat-Plus 28 are already available on line in PDF http://www.matplus.net/pub/start.php?px ... e&act=home - but not the excellent texts and articles - all of high quality - Well, finally: the 'thing in itself' , for a more illustrative entry here:

Zalmen Kornin
"Mat Plus" 2007

#2 * (Mate in Two, with Set-Play)
Z Kornin

Postby Z Kornin » 11 September 2008, 5:04 am

Another task, but also somewhat related is the that of the 'pin-mates following flights' (without set- or virtual- play...)- curious that the only examples I found with more than three variations also displays the checking key! (If I were digging in the database some months ago...) Well, here the refered two examples from the flat world, the first with four and the second with five pin-mates:

Edgar D. Holladay
"Probleemblad" 1968
3rd HM

Budimir MARJANOVIC
YUG-ch 2000/01
4th HM

Z Kornin

Postby Michael McDowell » 11 September 2008, 12:42 pm

Another couple, quoted in Jeremy Morse's collection of tasks:

C.J.Morse
The Problemist 1975

Mate in 2

1.bxa4+ with pin-mates after 5 flights

G.Cristoffanini
1st Prize, Grantham Journal 1931

Mate in 2

1.Qd8
Pin-mates after 4 flights. Perhaps this doesn't count, as the pin exploited after 1...Kf2 is not created by the king move, but the quiet key is notable.
Michael McDowell

Postby Z Kornin » 15 September 2008, 7:53 am

Thank You, Michael - Morse's is very important as an example in this thread... the key creates two of the flights and the underpromotion add spice to the - again, like in the majority of the samples above! - need of a pawn in the seventh

... the pin exploited after 1...Kf2 is not created by the king move
Yes, but Cristoffanini's is still the best rendering of this scheme, from which some of the foremost #2 experts working in the early 1930s tryed to extract more than the average content of 3 pin-mates after the Y-flight, never using our modernist's tricks - even so, the Bishop in 'g4' is far from classical... A closer look soon reveal that the author could avoid this detail :

G.Cristoffanini
(original version)

The best qualities are preservated (flight giving key, freedom of duals, etc)- only, now all four pin-mates after the King flight’s runs without a capture – this with the further investment of a mere black pawn.. but if the lack of the mirror-mate after the non-thematical 1...Q moves is still sensible, then there’s another possibility:

G.Cristoffanini
(original version)

Here the minor dual in non-thematical 1...Qd3 2.Ne7 or Bxd3 is, for me, not annoying
Z Kornin

Postby Z Kornin » 6 July 2009, 8:58 am

And still a clear demonstration (even without a set-play or virtual play - therefore not 'changing' in the sense is meant here), but quite impressive: Three flights given by the key, and three double-pin mates following

R. Kofman
"Deutscher Arbeiter Schachbund" 1932
Ist Pr
Z Kornin

Return to Tasks and records